Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Verdict is In.

Although I have been telling my wife for weeks that there is no way that a white police officer is going to get indicted for shooting a black man, last night my prediction came true. The Ferguson police officer was not charged or indicted for anything.

I have not examined all of the evidence, nor did I hear all of the testimony. The prosecutor said in his statement that although many of the eyewitnesses testimony was consistent with autopsy reports and never wavering, many were not.

I have to admit, I thought of this grand jury like I think about The Warren Commission. If I were presented with a bunch of lies and tainted evidence and fed false information and fake evidence, I think I would have drawn the same conclusions they did.

But you wanna know what? The Officer came forward tonight. I listened carefully to his account of the incident. I found him to be credible and his description of the event to be credible and consistent with the description of the gunshot wounds. I believe him. I have been in situations and I have been trained for similar situations.

We were trained that the perp has to be a minimum of 21 feet away for one to adequately prepare for a sharp edge attack. Mr. Brown was apparently a lot closer than that, and still coming. If Mr. Brown overtakes the officer's weapon, we can only speculate on what that would have led to.

I believe the officer. I was against him all the way, convinced that if a seasoned veteran had been at the scene, this would never have happened. But I no longer believe that.

I have been in harm's way. Many times. Everyday for 27 years. But sometimes you have to make split second decisions based on what you perceive the situation to be. I think the cop was right in the situation as presented in sworn testimony.

What is wrong is burning some guys AutoZone store because you don't like the outcome. This senseless violence does not forward any cause. I understand frustration. Register to Vote. Become involved in local politics. But don't burn. Don't loot.

By the way, as I end here, did you know that the "loud noise" shooter, the guy in Florida who shot at a car as the youth were trying to escape him, is in prison. I bet the "conservative media" didn't report that.

No comments:

Post a Comment