Monday, April 8, 2013

I Predicted This to Friends...

As I predicted to friends after all the talk about gun control fired up after Newtown, it will be a dog and pony show for awhile, and then everything will pretty much go back to normal.

Whatever normal in this crazy world is.

So far, banning any assault weapons is off the table, banning high capacity clips is off the table, and extended background checks have developed a serious cough. This is a good thing. These would have all disgusted our Founding Fathers, who, for all their faults, were brilliant guys in my estimation.

The President, who I love, is slightly misguided in his attempts to be the President of everybody all the time. I applaud his efforts, but he recently made a statement about the rise in poll numbers of people who fear the government. He made a statement - "The government is us. We elect these people." With all due respect, not necessarily Mr. President. I did not elect one single police officer in my town. I didn't get to elect the city manager who hired all the "public safety" officers. I didn't elect any of the folks in our military. These are the folks our Founding Fathers wanted us to be willing and ABLE to take on.

I strongly believe our Founding Fathers of course could not envision where the technology of weaponry would take us, but wherever it goes, they expected us, as good citizens, to keep up.

We should never, ever, ever settle for less than what the cops have. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment